State cannabis overview
New York Cannabis Licenses
- Adult-use Cultivator, this New York marijuana cultivation license is for facilities involved in growing, cultivating and selling cannabis plants to a licensed processor
- Adult-use Nursery, for facilities involved in growing only clones, unfertilized and fertilized cannabis seeds for cultivation by a licensed cultivator, microbusiness, cooperative and registered organization.
- Adult-use Processor, for facilities involved in manufacturing, preparation, and packaging of cannabis items. Authorizes the sale of cannabis items for later resale by other licensees.
- Adult-use Distributor, for businesses involved in transporting cannabis items in bulk intrastate, from one licensed cannabis establishment to another.
- Adult-use Cooperative, for member-owned businesses following a cooperative business model that are involved in growing, cultivating and selling cannabis plants to other licensees. All members must live within the state of New York.
- Adult-use Microbusiness, for businesses growing, manufacturing, distributing and selling a limited amount of self-grown cannabis items.
- Adult-use Retail Dispensary, for any New York state dispensary selling and delivering cannabis products directly to customers.
- Adult-use On-Site Consumption, for any New York dispensary allowing customers to purchase and consume cannabis products on its premises.
- Adult-use Delivery, for business providing courier services for other licensees in order to make deliveries of cannabis items to a consumer. Businesses are allowed a maximum of 25 full-time, paid delivery staff per week under a single license.
- Registered Organization Adult-use Cultivator Processor Distributor Retail Dispensary, for organizations selling recreational cannabis through their own medical dispensaries, and only authorizes the distribution of the registered organization’s own cannabis products.
- Registered Organization Adult-use Cultivator Processor Distributor, for registered medical cannabis organizations seeking to have the same privileges as an adult-use cultivator, processor, and distributor licensees.
Pick the Right New York Dispensary License
CAURD licensees are businesses owned by justice-involved individuals and will be the first retail dispensaries to open for legal adult-use cannabis sales in New York State. CAURD licensees are positioned to make New York’s first legal cannabis sales before the end of 2022
Microbusiness licenses restrict size and volume, however the only license that allows businesses to grow and sell their own products. Microbusiness licenses can not be used with any other license type.
Regular adult-use cannabis license to grow, cultivate, manufacture, distribute and sell cannabis products. Half of all adult-use licenses are designated for social and economic equity applicants, including residents of areas impacted by the War on Drugs, minority and women owned businesses, distressed farmers, and service-disabled veteran-owned businesses.
State-approved medical cannabis organizations seeking to grow, cultivate, manufacture, distribute and/or sell recreational use cannabis products. Registered organization licenses can not be used with any other license type.
Mary Jane Marketer New York Adult Use Cannabis Enterprise Services
Recreational Cannabis Licensing and Operations Preparation
NY Cannabis Startup Overview:
Know what you need to launch and license a Cannabis Business successfully and compliantly? We’ve outlined the different requirements and phases of a Cannabis startup, many of which may be included in the New York Recreational Cannabis Applications, and created a turnkey cannabis enterprise solution.
Phase 1- Licensing Eligibility
In this first phase, Mary Jane Marketer will help you determine if you meet the basic eligibility requirements for the license sought and set realistic startup funding expectations. Clients will be required to submit documentation showing they can qualify for a license. Once these requirements have been met, we will guide you through how to establish your business entity and begin to select potential Municipality locations for your operations that have opted into the particular license sought.
Phase 2- Developing Your Company
In this second phase, we guide you through finetuning your cannabis business concept. Mary Jane Marketer will lead the client’s team in preparing a well-defined Business Plan that will help solidify your unique business idea and create an effective strategy for growth. We will provide a thorough market analysis and assist in the development of your branding and marketing strategies. Mary Jane Marketer will consult with the client on the formation of an effective executive team and advisory board and help determine your future financial needs so that you may begin to secure the necessary capital required for startup. Not every city or county in New York is permitting the sale of cannabis. We will advise you on the best strategies to garner local support from your intended local municipality.
Phase 3- Detailed Operational Procedures and Plans & Finalizing a Location
In order for your Cannabis Business to enjoy financial success, it must establish and maintain regulatory and operational compliance. The establishment and implementation of a Regulatory Compliance Plan embraces all applicable Federal, State and local Municipal regulatory requirements of the license sought. Mary Jane Marketer will utilize Industry best practices to create detailed standard operating procedures and plans. Additionally, we will map out the steps needed to familiarize yourself with local regulations, get involved as a positive influence in the community to mitigate cannabis bans, secure a location, and help you understand the complexities of all buildout requirements.
Phase 4- Licensing
Mary Jane Marketer will walk you through the NY State licensing requirements and processes. In addition to detailed information about your ownership group, funding sources, and location, you will likely have to submit the following:
Business and Financial Plans
Standard Operating Procedure Plans
Safety and Security Plans
Community Impact Plans
Diversity and Workforce Initiative Plans
and much more
Our professionals will review your required documentation to ensure that it meets the state’s requested criteria. We will audit the operational procedures and plans that we authored for your business in phase 3 and confirm that they meet the current regulations.
Phase 5- Marketing, Advertising & Compliance Services
Once your business is licensed and operational, Mary Jane Marketer can assist in its continued growth and maintenance of regulatory compliance. The secret to retail is in the details. A positive customer experience can be the difference between a dispensary surviving and thriving.
With our retail and cannabis dispensary marketing services, you can build a quality experience that will keep customers coming back. Mary Jane Marketer’s cannabis compliance services develop monthly checklists so that your business stays compliant and ahead of the curve when it comes to changes in the law. We guide you through routine monitoring and auditing of your regulatory compliance plan and consult with you on investigative processes and corrective actions.
Conditional Adult Use Retail Dispensary Interim Compliance Plan
On October 28, 2022, the Office of Cannabis Management released a guidance document that serves to provide the framework that will assist Conditional Adult-Use Retail Dispensary licensees on how to plan to operate their dispensary before regulations are formally adopted.
The guidelines cover topics from recordkeeping requirements, required training for staff, inventory and tracking requirements, security plans and operational plans.
Mary Jane Marketer has created a turnkey solution that provides step-by-step guidance for implementing an Interim Regulatory Compliance Plan which embraces all applicable Federal, State and local Municipal regulatory requirements of the license. Mary Jane Marketer will utilize Industry best practices to create detailed standard operating procedures and plans so that you meet these Interim Operational Compliance requirements pertaining to:
- Staffing Plan
- Staff Training and Training Manuals
- Security Plan
- Site Plan
- Operational Plans and Procedures
Download our New York Dispensary Recreational Cannabis Guide
Looking for more information on how to open a dispensary in New York? Fill in the form below to get a copy of our Cannabis Overview and New York Cannabis Real Estate Guide.
Mary Jane Marketer Services in New York
We can help entrepreneurs in the early stages get started on the right foot on their journey into the New York cannabis industry. Our services include:
Market Research Studies
Business Plan Development
Turning your business idea into reality takes a lot of work. We can help make it happen through:
Brand Development and Cannabis Marketing Strategy
Your business is up and running. It’s time to get found, get noticed, and grow your sales. Mary Jane Marketer will grow your business presence and customer engagement with:
Website Development and Design Services